For new readers

To get an idea of what I'm trying to do and why I think it's possible, check out the following entries, they'll help get you up to speed.

Sunday, September 2, 2012

Limits - RadioLab confirms existence of peanut butter monsters

On a long car trip this past saturday my dad passed the time listening to minnesota public radio. Lots of re-runs since it was the holiday weekend, but one that caught his attention was a re-broadcast of a 2010 RadioLab on limits.


 It's utterly fascinating to listen to, and in my opinion, worth every minute.  It talks with Julie Moss about her now famous finish of the 1982 IM race and, even more interestingly, about the relatively new science behind the 'central governor' theory (starting around 12 minutes in).  Basically, the central governor is analogous to my fear response when faced with really big peanut butter monsters.



So it's pretty cool that there is starting to be evidence that the mind is the vastly more powerful - much more the 'decider' - than the body.  I know, I know, soooo many people are going to take issue with this. I've heard it all before.... people will cling to that seemingly objective experience (minute 17) that they believe is definitive 'proof' that they are done - that their jar is empty.  We'll just have to agree to disagree though, and it's nice to finally have someone (especially someone as hip and quirky as the RadioLab guys) in my corner.

And as a final note,  i've just gotten a comment on one of my posts that indicates that the Breathe Article i pitched way back when and eventually wrote is floating around out there actually in print- not just in cyberspace.  pretty cool. Will post a link to it on here when i actually find it.  Watch out world (;

1 comment:

  1. "I've heard it all before.... people will cling to that seemingly objective experience (minute 17) that they believe is definitive 'proof' that they are done - that their jar is empty."

    I've heard it all before too... those people need to prove their death, before I buy their claims.

    ReplyDelete